Pie For Breakfast Studios
Based in Cleveland, OH
29, March, 2015
PC / Browser
Lissitzky’s Revenge is an action game based on the poster Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge (El Lissitzky, 1920) using paper cut-outs as the art medium. Players are a red wedge and must destroy the white circle in each scene by solving puzzles based on works by Lissitzky. As players interact with the game, they encounter constructivist interpretations of classic arcade games such as Yar’s Revenge (Atari, 1982) and Frogger (Konami, 1981). This Suprematist game is a simple action game for games’ sake - or is it actually a Constructivist propagandha game? Will you play the way it tells you to or will you think for yourself?
Lissitzky's Revenge is part of The Atelier Games project. The Atelier Games project is a series of games based on the work of 20th Century artists and art movements. The project is named after the atelier learning method within fine or decorative arts, where an apprentice studies under an established master artist. The gameplay of these games is based on themes apparent in each artist’s work. Likewise, the methods for creating the art for each game will be derived from the artist’s own method. The purpose of this project is to explore new art production techniques using real-world artist materials to determine the viability of such methods in common game production.
- Challenging arcade action and puzzles!
- Unique Russian Constructivist Aesthetic created with paper cut-outs.
- 25 levels
- Levels based on the work of famous graphic designers.
- Discover if you are the hero, or if that's just propagandha...
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Lissitzky's Revenge. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Official selection: Blank Arcade 2016" Dundee, Scotland, 2016
- "Official selection: Artscape 2015" Baltimore, MD, July 2015
- "Smithsonian America Now: Innovation in Art" Art showcase, Washington, DC, August 2015
- "Game Jolt featured game" April 2015
- "Lissitzky’s Revenge is overtly political from the ground up."
- Chris Priestman, Killscreen
- "While the action of being immersed in Lissitzky’s Bolshevik vs. anti-Communist world — all set to encouraging music of the era — is a provocative theme for a game, it’s also the use of the non-digital paper cutouts in its visuals that really captures that aesthetic."
- Allison Meier, Hyperallergic
- " While unlikely to unseat Tetris as the best Russian-themed puzzle game, Totten’s creation is a worthy companion in a genre we just made up."
- Ronan, Smith Journal
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Pie For Breakfast Studios
Pie For Breakfast Studios is a Northeast Ohio game development studio and advocacy organization run by game design teacher and author Christopher Totten creating experimental projects "for the good of games." The studio creates digital and non-digital game projects and is part of Pie for Breakfast, LLC, whose services include working with museums and cultural institutions to create events celebrating the artistic achievements of the game industry.
More information on Pie For Breakfast Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lissitzky's Revenge Credits
Artist, programmer, director, designer